In reference to the title, at work, we have an annual International Potluck Day in which each person makes something from their country and shares it. Everyone looks forward to this day each year. The food is amazing. Inevitably one wag brings in a platter of McDonald's hamburgers. I opted to make the mac and cheese this year.
Here is the recipe which I cobbled together from two recipes:
Mac and cheese:
· 16 oz (one box) uncooked elbow macaroni
· 4 tablespoons butter
· About 12-14 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
· 2 eggs, beaten
· 1/2 cup sour cream
· 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
· 1 cup whole milk
· One tablespoon dry mustard
· 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 3 tablespoons butter
· 1 cup bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
· Boil the macaroni until al dente, drain.
· In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and mix in the grated cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
· Add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well.
· Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a large casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese. I forgot to set aside some grated cheddar cheese to put on the mixture but I had leftover grated gruyere cheese.
· Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven.